Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Week in Review

Ok, trying to get caught up on the happenings of this week.

-First congrats to Karen and Ben! Tate Benjamin arrived at 11:45 PM on April 8. He was 5 lbs 8 oz and 19 inches long. Very exciting! Tate was not expected for a few more weeks but it was decided that he should put in an early appearance due to some concerns. I can't wait to go down and meet him. I am loving the name. It is a very Illini sounding name. I don't know if it was planned that way, but knowing Karen it could have been. Loren Tate is kinda legendary country and Tate is a much better name than Barnhardt, Shepherd or Bardo :)

-The Cards finished out the week at 3-2. But the most exciting thing to see (or hear as in my case) was Carp's great pitching debut on Thursday. Since I was at work I was unable to watch but I did listen at work. It was great to hear him bounce back his first game out this year. I really believe that confidence is a big factor in pitching and even though all the interviews say they are all professionals and one bad outing doesn't affect that, it has to feel good to get out there and see that yes, you can still do this. Plus it stops all the can he/can't he discussions in the media. Obviously he can. So close to the no hitter. Granted, not a complete game no hitter but I am not expecting any of our pitchers to go out and pitch a complete game in week 1. They are still working on the stamina and such at this point. Never fear though because our favorite, Ryan Franklin pitched a 1,2,3 8th inning and Dennys Reyes closed it out in the same manner. So good to see. I feel this bodes well for the remainder of the season. Only bad thing about listening to that game on the radio....nobody has talked to Mike Shannon about the whole "Ka-heel Green" thing yet. Help me out here people! Plus he was attempting to like give a physics lesson on the air. That was.....interesting. I also noticed on one of the other games this week that Colby Rasmus is apparently trying to compete with Chris Duncan over who can fit more chew in their mouth. At least I think it was chew. It could have been seeds. All I know is that there was a giant wad in there. Less is more Colby....less is more.

-In other Cards news...I finished reading the book "Tony LaRussa: Man on a Mission" by Rob Rains yesterday. I really did enjoy it. I read 3 Nights in August and it gives you quite the insight into Tony. This one however really took it back to the beginning. It talked about his childhood, growing up with Lou Pineila and his playing years. I learned that his first managing position was with the Cardinals farm team in Springfield, IL. Of course that team is no longer around but I just found it interesting. It chronicles all his time in Chicago and Oakland and of course in St Louis. I of course cringed a bit when reading about the rough patches he had in St Louis with Ozzie Smith and Scott Rolen since they are 2 of my all time favorite Cardinals. I realize there are some bruised feeling all around there. I just wish it hadn't happened that way. Both times the situation was a tough situation to be put in and I really can't blame anyone for their actions/comments at the time it was all going on. I just wish that it hadn't played out that way. Can't we all just get along? Next up I am either going to read the autobiography of Josh Hamilton, or a book about the Gashouse Gang, the infamous Cardinals team from back in the day. Yes, I really do eat, sleep and breathe baseball during the season :)

-Well baseball season has started so that means it is time to start softball too. We actually had our first practice last week in the rain...that was fun. By the time I got home I felt like I had stepped into the shower in my clothes. We were supposed to have a practice game on Monday night but it was kinda snowed out. That was crazy. We had our final practice Thursday night and I think we should have a decent team. If nothing else I know we will have a fun team. Everyone on the team is really fun/cool but still actually wants to be competitive. My kind of team. I don't know what position I will play but it really doesn't matter to me. Other people had much stronger opinions on where they wanted to play. I have played like every postion so I just told them to put me wherever. I am very excited for our first game on Thursday. Now it is just a matter of staying injury free through the season. I was pitching batting practice the other day and if it hadn't been for my quick reflexes I would have taken a line drive to the nose. I caught it though so no DL for me :)

As I type I am currently en route to St Louis for the Cards games this weekend against the Astros. We have a Pujols Pack for 7 games this season straight down the right field line. Then mom suggested we stay overnight and go to the game tomorrow as well. I checked out Stub Hub and apparently nobody goes to the game on Easter Sunday. We were going to get tickets in the green seats (yes, THE green seats, the crazy expensive ones right behind home plate) that were on Stub Hub for only $100 a piece (that includes food and beverage...the face value is $250 a piece but I have never seen them on Stub Hub for under $300) but we couldn't find a 4th person to go as all our regular game go-ers had other plans. Don't feel too bad for us though....I managed to find tickets in row 5 behind home plate (technically row 5 behind the green seats) for only $50 a piece. Not bad at all. Unfortunately both giveaways this weekend are for kids. Darn. I want a Ryan Ludwick bat. I don't need the Kids cap today but I would totally take a Ludwick bat.

Ok, almost to Litchfield...gonna grab some lunch and then be on our way.

1 comment:

  1. As for the name...a happy coincidence...
    It actually is my grandmothers maiden name...not nearly as "Illini spirited" (and sad to say that thought had not even crossed my mind)...

    ReplyDelete