Friday, July 3, 2009

Kansas City Here I Come

The weekend of June 19-21 found me headed to Kansas City, home of the Royals. Another stadium I have not been to yet, another to mark off my list of on my quest to see all the MLB stadiums. I picked a good year to head to Kaufman Stadium, aka, The K, as they just renovated it and had a grand reopening this year with their brank new outfield pavilion area.

On Friday me, mom, dad, Angie and her boyfriend Nick piled into my car and headed out. We drove through a nasty rainstorm on our way to Columbia, MO that night but no hail thank goodness...I would not have been happy. Not on my new car! WE stayed in Columbia friday night and saw a little bit of the Mizzou campustown area when we went out for supper. We went to a restaurant/brew pub called Flatbranch. They brewed their own beer (which did not interest me...not a beer girl) as well as their own root beer. The root beer was some of the best root beer I have ever had. The food was great too. Nick was a little wary of what might happen to his food since he was wearing a Kansas Jayhawks shirt in a Mizzou restaurant, but he braved it. Kudos to the guy at the front desk of the Drury Inn on the great restaurant recommendation.

Saturday morning we got up and headed to downtown Kansas City for the College Basketball Experience and Hall of Fame. We had a good time there even though it was more interactive games than actual Hall of Fame/Museum. We had a good time trying to beat clock to make the game winning shot (I wasn't so hot at that one), participating in a 3 point contest (again...not so hot...no upper body strenght=crappy results in the 3 point contest). My fave activity...trying to shoot free throws while assorted college student fan sections attempted to distract you on the giant screen set up behind the basket. We were loving that. Nick was very excited when he had to shoot against the Mizzou cheering section. I got to shoot against the Orange Krush at one point. Apparently I know all their tricks cuz they couldn't distract me. Ice in my veins:)

There were some great exhibits and the Illini were well represented. By far the coolest part of the whole thing was the entrance. It is supposed to be like a tunnel into the stadium. I'll put some video up in a separate post...it is taking forever to save to my computer right now.

The Mentor's Circle at the Hall of Fame...how sad it is that I was the only one who recognized it was supposed to be a net with a ball coming through it?





Saturday afternoon was spent at The K...for a 90 minute rain delay. At least they played though. I was worried. The K is a pretty nice stadium. It looks very small but the field itself is actually larger. Pujols and Ludwick hit a couple to center field that would have been out in STL but were just a long out at the K. One thing we learned...Milwaukee has the Sausage Races and KC has the Hot Dog Derby. They also have the kid version...the Teenie Weenie Derby, which we witnessed on Sunday (video to come). Frankie came in to close in the 8th but wasn't really needed after we scored a bunch in te 9th to pull way ahead. Here's a few shots from Saturday at the K



No comments:

Post a Comment